Sunday 10 May 2015

Gooey brownie pies



I enjoyed the scones so much that I decided to try another one of Glenn Cosby's recipes. When I saw 'gooey brownie pies', I looked no further! Pies and brownies, what a good combo. I've never spent much time making pastry but this was quite easy to follow and worked well. If I were to make them again then I think I would make the pastry a little thinner. These are very rich and dense (we had to eat one in two sittings - this is rare for me!) but they were delicious. Well done Glenn.

pastry- 
125g Plain flour
1 egg yolk
75g unsalted butter
1 tbsp water
38g Caster sugar

Brownie mix:-
80g unsalted butter
50g golden syrup
100g caster sugar
1tsp salt
150g dark chocolate in chunks
2 eggs
30g plain flour
100g dark chocolate in chunks

 1. To make the pastry, mix the butter and flour in your fingers until they form breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, egg yolk and water and bring it all together. Wrap in cling film and out in the fridge for one hour. 
2. Roll out the chilled pastry to the thickness of a pound coin. Using a 10 cm circle cutter, cut out the pastry and press against a flan tin. Repeat for a second tin. Put it back in the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. To make the brownie mixture, preheat the oven to 180C. Gently melt 80g butter in a saucepan with the golden syrup, caster sugar and salt. When the sugar has dissolved, take it off the heat and stir in 150g dark chocolate until it mixes well. Then leave to cool.
4. Beat the eggs into the chocolate mix then mix in 30g plain flour and 100g dark chocolate chunks. 
5. Fill the pastry cases with the chocolate mixture and bake for 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment