110g unsalted butter softened
380g caster sugar
320g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
320 ml buttermilk
1/2 large packet of twix mix
1kg icing sugar, sifted
320g unsalted butter softened
1/2 large packet of Twix mix
1. Preheat the oven to 170C and line the cake tins with baking paper. Using a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter, sugar and dry ingredients until there are no lumps of butter.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and buttermilk by hand. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients while the mixer is on a medium speed. Scrape down the sides and mix again.
3. Chop the Twix bits in half and stir into the mixture. Pour into two lined cake tins and bake for 35 minutes until the sponge bounces back when pressed. Leave to cool on a drying rack.
4. When the cake is cool, make the icing. Using the free standing electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the icing sugar and butter on a low speed. Add one third of the mascarpone and combine until smooth. Gradually add the test of the mascarpone and until fully mixed then turn to a high speed until it is light and fluffy.
5. Put some of the mixture on one of the cakes and sprinkle some more twix bits cut in half. Put the second cake on top. Using a palette knife, spread the rest of the frosting on top and around the sides of the cake. Finish with whole Twix bits on top.