A victoria sponge is a classic and has become a birthday tradition in our house. However, I thought a half birthday counted as, why wait a year for such a nice cake. I usually use a different recipe but in the spirit of working through the British Bake Off cook book I thought I would try a new one. Their recipe used whipped cream and real strawberries so I changed this and went for my traditional filling of butter cream and strawberry jam.
180g unsalted butter
180g caster sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
180g self raising flour
1 tbsp warn tap water
250g icing sugar
80g softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Beat the butter in a bowl / electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar one tbsp at a time.
2. Beta the eggs and vanilla with a fork and gradually add to the butter mixture.
3. Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in with a spoon. Add the warm water and continue to fold in.
4. Split the mixture into two tins by spreading evenly and bake for 20-25minutes.
5. leave to cool for a minute them put on a wire rack out of its tin.
6. The butter icing - mix the butter, vanilla and icing sugar until it has formed a paste. Spread onto one half of the sponge with a palette knife. Spread the other half with jam. Put the jam half on top of the icing half and voila.
Now to put the kettle on...