Sunday 14 September 2014

Gluten free, adjective free, raspberry and chocolate brownies


Back to the recipes... I like to try and follow or create at least one recipe every week and this week it was gluten free raspberry and almond brownies. This easy-to-follow recipe is from another blogger at londonbakes.com While I don't have to eat gluten free, a family member recently found out that he has to so I thought I would do the honourable thing and try a recipe. I may have forgot to share them with him (they were pretty good) but I did share the recipe :) This is a great blog with a lot of good looking recipes that I'd like to try. The original recipe was to use cherries but the shop had sold out so raspberries it was.

Here goes: -
300g Dark chocolate
175g unsalted butter
170g demerara sugar
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
50g ground almonds
35g cocoa powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
50g raspberries (or cherries)
Flakes almonds to sprinkle on top.

The labour: -
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a brownie tin with baking paper.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water. Then pour into a bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
3. Add the eggs one by one then the vanilla essence.
4. Gently mix in all the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the batter into the tin and shake until even (I'm sure there is a chef-y term to be used here).
6. Put the raspberries / cherries on top and push some in. (It wasn't in the recipe but I coated the raspberries in cocoa powder first so that they didn't sink).
7. Scatter the flaked almonds on top and cook for 30minutes.

I was worried that these would be too squidgy, which they were quiet on the first day but by the next day they were quite firm and a good flavour. The raspberries did make those parts of the brownie a bit too moist so maybe cherries would have been better (should have gone to another shop). For my first gluten free attempt I was quite pleased. Thank you londonbakes.com I will visit again.

After teaching many lessons on how to write instructions to year 1 children, I like to make sure I have all the right components and can't help but read it back in a teacher voice. I would have told the children to write more adjectives, hehe.

(8. Add adjectives.)

No comments:

Post a Comment