Sunday 31 August 2014

Coconut and chocolate, a match made in heaven


I know cupcakes have taken a back seat in recent times to the newly popular macaroons and donuts, but I still love a cupcake. I have tried several recipes but the best seem to be Hummingbird recipes. These are my favourite - chocolate and coconut. The sponge is so light and fluffy, which is hard to achieve with chocolate, and the sweet coconut icing is so well balanced against the bitterness.

The sponge recipe: -
70g butter
170g plain flour
250g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
210ml whole milk
2 eggs
(The recipe then says to put a small bit of bounty bar in it but this didn't seem to work.)

Mix the dry ingredients in a food processor. Mix the wet ingredients separately then add them slowly to the mixture. Put in a muffin tin (Makes 12) and cook at 170C for 23mins.

The icing recipe: -
250g icing sugar sifted
80g softened butter
30ml coconut milk
Desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top
(I have halved all of the ingredients because I think this is enough to compliment the sponge...and I would like to keep all of my teeth)

Blend the butter and icing sugar then slowly add the coconut milk. Add to the cupcakes when they are cool and voila! With all the leftover coconut milk, a great excuse to make a curry...
#cupcake #chocolate #cocunut #hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment